Do you remember the Crystal Maze? Back in the nineties families would settle down in front of the TV with dinner on their laps to watch this classic game show – mine included! And they have only gone and turned it into a live, immersive experience! You heard me! And I have some top tips for those of you wanting to try The Crystal Maze.
Looking for more Manchester inspo? Here’s the best way to spend one day in Manchester!
The Crystal Maze explained
Your team navigates game zones with the help of a kooky task master (It was Richard O’Brien in the nineties – the one with the long fur coat, tight trousers and bald head) You undertake physical, skill, mental and mystery challenges to earn a crystal. Crystals allow more time in the final game, The Crystal Dome. Here you collect as many flying tokens as you can to win. Simples.
What to expect on your visit
On arrival you are taken to read the terms and conditions on an iPad before electronically signing your details. This takes some time so make sure you arrive at least 30minutes before! We were late, but luckily they swapped our slot with another group. Phew!
You are then ushered to a free locker area to safely store your belongings. They’re only small so don’t bring lots of stuff. Wait and strategise until your group are called to the viewing area to watch a short highlights video that gets you all revved up.
Here you finally meet your task master! There is a huge rotation of talented staff that create a different quirky character. We had a Victorian woman with lots of funny stories. The master really brings the game to life and helps you along the way!
Finally the moment you’ve been waiting for, you enter the door into the first zone and your time begins. You run, climb and crawl your way to each area before finally heading to The Crystal Dome. Once you exit, make sure you wait to see your name up on the leaderboard.
(AD) Make a weekend of it. Stay overnight in Manchester!
Game differences and similarities
- You still nominate a Captain who decides on the game category and best person to play each. *Cough* That was me! *Cough*
- The zones look nearly exactly the same as the TV show. They smashed the production design out of the park. A super fans dream.
- Thankfully you don’t actually get locked in if you fail a challenge. All of your team make it to the final game. Yipee.
- You have to collect as many tickets as you can in the Dome and don’t get deductions for catching the wrong colour.
We ended up having 40 seconds in the Dome and only caught around 100 tickets. Not great… BUT below is an awesome picture of my team wearing those iconic bomber jackets, so we’re winners really!
The Crystal Maze top tips
- It gets mighty hot in the maze. You will get a serious sweat on. Wear loose clothes and comfortable shoes.
- It’s very energetic. You are racing around the zones and climbing steps regularly. Make sure you are hydrated and healthy.
- Think of a cool team name. You add this to the leaderboard at the beginning. We were put on the spot and came up with a very UN-inventive title, our surname!
- Decide the strengths and weaknesses of your team. This speeds up the process and allows you to squeeze in extra games.
- Don’t worry if you can’t find a group of 7-8 team mates. You can book a time slot and join a smaller group. Make some new buddies.
- There are two photo opps inside the maze, so put on your best smile and strike a pose! Make sure you get your free digital copy at the end.
There’s lots more to enjoy second time around. Find out what to expect on a repeat Crystal Maze visit.
So there you have it, a quick round up of what to expect and my top tips when visiting The Crystal Maze in Manchester. I hope you feel less daunted at the aspect of taking part.
Have you been? Did you watch The Crystal Maze as a child? Comment below.
Image Credits: The Sun, Chester Chronicle, MEN News, The Crystal Maze